Sunday, March 2, 2008

A few more marbles

I had to leave some marbles in the kiln for annealing back during this spectacular adventure, and my kindly aunt Mari has since sent them along to me. Showing off my (barely extant) flame working skills, part deux!



I made one for my Dad. He's a big ND fan, and I figure he could put it on his desk. Then again, how maddening would it be to keep track of a marble rolling all round your desk when you're working? (Oops.) The technique for making this kind of marble is maddening enough in itself... you have to blow out the tip of a glass tube, build up a bunch of stringers, draw the stringers onto the thin bubble and invert the bubble around the stuff you've drawn in. Suffice it to say, I only made one of them.



And then there's this one, which is just a sandwich of clear glass around a shard of silver dichroic and some red frit that I was going to twist up into a regular, smooth marble. BUT, it got way too awesome in the middle of the twisting phase, so I just stopped it there and left it a glob.

Yay marbles~! ^_^

2 comments:

bunbun said...

Sugoi!
That is awesome! I have never met anyone who makes marbles. I have a tomodatchi obsessed with marbles, I will have to show her yours.
What made you interested in making them?

By the way, my husband thinks it is so cool that you have a final fantasy ( i think that is what he said it was)
clip on your page!

Ku said...

Kekeke, I'm no pro at it, but I've got a weird love for glass and shiny things. XD
Many big cities have glass workshops (sometimes art centers) that will offer classes if you or your friend are interested in glasswork!

To your husband, hello! I read on your blog that your are a newlywed; congratulations! ご結婚式おめでとうございます!I'm glad he likes Final Fantasy... it's a great video game. ^^