Monday, September 1, 2008

Japanese Festival 2008 (the aftermath thereof)

I am a goddamn Bon Odori dancer. Oh hell yes. d(>ω<)b


Ku is somewhere in this picture.

The Missouri Botanical Garden held it's annual Japanese Festival this past Labor Day weekend, and for the first time evar (EVAR~!) I got to participate. ^-^

My younger sister and I are first-year members of a local Tozan Ryu group (for dancing, not shakuhachi), and we were privileged to perform dances for the Obon festival along with the rest of the troupe and about 200 festival attendees who, bravely, accepted sensei's challenge to dance along with us.

Obon
(お盆) is the big autumnal holiday in Japan. It's similar in intent to Dia de Los Muertos in Mexico, but different, of course, in style and execution. Obon comes with its own special music called ondo (音頭) and a collection of dances that are simply referred to as Bon odori (盆踊り), literally, "Obon dances." There are songs and correlating dances about all kinds of things, including (but not limited to) famous cities, coal miners, fireworks, traditional clothing, wishes for good fortune, and Pokemon.

Yes, Pokemon. And many other anime.

Besides dancing, there were lots of other lovely attractions as well:

Ikebana...





...and bonsai...



...and fans of kimono...



...and adorable Asian children...



...and a master of the deceptively difficult Japanese koma tops...





...and origami...



...and a f*ck ton of Niki de Saint Phalle sculptures which are on loan to the gardens and have nothing to do with the Japanese festival, but were still photographically interesting...





...and more cosplayers than there should have been, so I didn't take pictures of them. XD

I hope you've all had an equally lovely weekend. If you should find yourself near St. Louis this autumn, please consider visiting the gardens; they're fantastic. 超すばらしい〜

5 comments:

ミJean★Claudeミ said...

おk

Ku said...

アイ♥ユウ。

bunbun said...

ku! where are u in the pics, you sneaky sneak!
Lovely photos, portlands's festivals are a little bit of a let down.
mostly coporate sponsors take over. anyways, it looks so beautiful and fun, I am so glad you posted pics, even if you are elusive!

ミJean★Claudeミ said...

There's this guy on #furaffinity who goes by senzuko and I always mentally spell it 千擦子 and it makes me simultaneously laugh and die inside ):

Ku said...

Bunbun-chama, hello! How are you with your busy life? o.o I've missed you~! XD I'm not gonna say where I am in the photos, because I'm on witness protection. But not really.

Jean-Claude, you teach me the most hilarious corners of the J-go universe. Please don't give up Japanese. ;_;